Thursday 25 November 2010

Poll: Are You Blind To Your True Weight?

The mystery of why some obese people think that they look good in Lycra has been solved.

Usually a distorted body image is discussed in regards to skinny people who think they are fat.

However, a new study reveals that this works the other way too, as many obese women see themselves as not overweight.

The University of Texas Medical Branch surveyed 2200 women between the ages of 18 and 25 about their lifestyle, self-perception and dieting habits. About 25% of the women, who based on BMI were classified as obese, perceived themselves as normal.

Researchers say that this is alarming because if women don't see themselves as having a problem they are unlikely to eat healthy and exercise. Women aren't alone in this area as other recent studies noted that obese men often see themselves as normal also.

Do you struggle with a distorted body image or know someone that does? Participate in the poll and comments below.

Source: Fox News

Do you have an accurate perception of your body?

Yes No I do now, but didn't in the past. View results

Body Image Psychology polls 8 Comments Spectra on 23 Nov 2010

Oooh, I love the new format!

Anyways, on to the subject--Yes, I have an accurate perception of my body, but society does not. I get told all the time that I am "WAY too skinny", even though I am at a NORMAL body weight and have a normal body fat % (it's on the lower end of normal, but it's normal). I know of several people that are obese that think that they are just overweight and plenty of overweight people that think they are just normal. Vanity sizing has something to do with it, I think--after all, if you aren't in "plus sized" clothes, you aren't obese, right? Yet most women that wear a size 14 are pretty overweight in my opinion.

Reply O. on 23 Nov 2010

I like to say that vanity sizing is like paper money... it only means something if enough people get together to agree to give it a certain meaning... otherwise it's worthless.

The people who got together to give it a meaning are the same industry that has been selling and sizing clothing for often at least 1 decade prior to the vanity sizing craze.

It's like this, the more people you can sell to the more money you can make.

I think this term "vanity sizing" is the industry that praises skinny models way of getting revenge on the fact that they are at the mercy of thicker people with money to spend.

Reply O. on 23 Nov 2010

I was at the website of a woman that makes medieval costumes the other day. She said on her website that any potential client of hers must be a size 18 or smaller otherwise she cant't make a costume for them.

Why? I don't know exactly. I doubt she is making the cut off at 18 just for folly and at a loss of pontential business.

There is "bigger" and then there is someone who needs two airplane seats.


And that is what I think it is about. When you are too big to get the outfit you want or sit on a plane like a normal person.

I'm not going to make an issue out of someone who could loose what weight they need to in 2-3 months!

Do you really want to put someone 90 days aways from being treated with dignity?

Reply Berzerker on 23 Nov 2010

I was anorexic as a teen, and considered myself fat if I dared got into triple digits as far as weight ('m 5'5"). These days, if I measure over 35/25/35 I consider myself fat. (Sad as it sounds, that's a step up from my ana years.) So, in a way I can't help but envy people who are okay with themselves although they need to lose a few. It sure beats the hell I've put myself through.

Reply ralphfie89 on 24 Nov 2010

that's too much fat

Reply bijou on 24 Nov 2010

I'm disappointed when the scale shows 100 lbs and thrilled when it shows 99 lbs. I'm 5'1"-5'2".

Reply Pater Rolf Hermann Lingen on 24 Nov 2010

I have similar experiences as Spectra:

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment